Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Day 30- Surgery Day

Believe it or not we were running late to the hospital and I did not get a picture of the FREE PRETZEL.  Just imagine it was here.



May 30th- Day 30- I woke up this morning, got the kids to school, knowing that in a few hours I was going to have a surgeon try and fix burn spurs in my vertebrae in my neck from pushing on my spine.  Scary stuff right?  The crazy thing is that even after I dropped the kids off, kissed them goodbye and hugged them a little harder and longer than I normally do, I actually was thinking that I need to pick up the FREE PRETZEL before we go into the city.  As I mentioned above, we were late and I did not even get a picture. 

The rest of the morning was a blur.  Into Admissions.  Clothes off. Sanitize wipe down.  Lie on a a bed and wait.  Feel like I have to pee, but can't.  Then they whisk me away and I am not even able to see Katie while they prep me.  I kissed her knowing I would see her again, hopefully sooner than I thought.  She held onto the FREE PRETZEL and I told her she could do whatever.  We had talked in the car about it being for her as as stress snack. 

The prep consisted of many different people coming to see me and telling me who they were an what they would be doing.  Michelle, and Katie and the anetheseologists and the doctors.  It was all too much.  They kept talking to me and poking me and I think the talking was just a sidtraction for all the poking.  They promised me I would be fine, but I wasn't so sure.

After the prep was done, I was on my way.  I made it into the big room with all the white instruments and same doctors and nurses and people moving about and then.........

I was awake and alive and anew nurse, also a Michelle was talking to me and making sure I was breathing.  There was a machine of some kind that monitored that and beeped every time my breathing slowed.  It was terribly annoying.  All I wanted to do was see Katie and i was told that my breathing needed to be stabilized first.  The damn machine kept beeping at me, I guess trying to say, "Well start breathing normally, dummy!" 

Finally longer than I ever thought, I was wheeled to recovery, very groggy and able to see Katie and then very soon after my parents.  I was told me aunt Liz, who works in the city, came by to visit and actually brought me pretzels.  Ha!  I did not get to see her though, I was too late.

I was ok and very loopy on medicine, but they said that everything went well. This story could be a lot longer, but the details were not too important.  I was ok and the next 24 hours would be not so much fun.

The FREE PRETZEL went to Katie, but ceremoniously it should have gone to all the doctors and nurses at Jefferson who took care of me.  They are amazing and I think I could spend a month giving each of them a FREE PRETZEL.  I don't know how to thank them.

BIG SHOUT OUTS- My Aunt Liz for doing her best to try and see me.  Sorry it did not work out. 

Katie for sitting through what had to be a very long 6-7 hours.  Sorry, but you are the love of my life and I was so glad to see you when I was back. 

My parents who were there to see me like they always have been and for getting the kids that day and for helping us in the coming weeks with the children

To Carolyn Eagen- for watching our house and kids while Katie and I were in the hsopital

To my sister Mary and Kenny for stopping by to see me on Thursday night, I was totally out of it, but knew you were there and Happy birthday Kenny.

It is hard to pretend to write this is it happened almost two weeks ago, but I did my best.  I have one more blog to write about and it will be coming I promise.

Until tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment