Friday, May 11, 2018

May 6th- Sunday Bloody Sunday

May 6, 2018- Day 6 Year 7-


FREE PRETZEL #6
Today was bizarre.  After spring had finally arrived, it seemed like today was a trip back to March.  Cloudy, overcast and on the colder side, barely reaching the 60s.  A slight wind did not help matters either.  Today was the last day of the Golf Association of Philadelphia or GAP matches.  As a member of the Moorestown Field Club, we belong to this organization.

The organization's statement on their website is:
The Golf Association of Philadelphia was founded in 1897 by members of the Belmont Golf Association (now Aronimink Golf Club), Merion Cricket Club (now Merion Cricket Club), Philadelphia Country Club and Philadelphia Cricket Club.
The organization's 200 Full Member Clubs are spread across parts of three states — Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware. The Golf Association of Philadelphia encompasses an area that roughly runs from Lancaster to Scranton to Bethlehem to Princeton to Cape May to Wilmington and back to Lancaster.
The purpose of the Association is simple: to preserve, protect and promote the game of golf. Every GAP activity is designed to do just that. 

The GAP team matches as they have been called since 1997, consist of clubs being organized into 4 club divisions and matches in round robin form over a three week period.  Each club sets a lineup of 6 players home and 6 players away.  Each player has an individual match vs a player from the other club and then within the foursome and simultaneously, the two players from one club play against the other two players from the other club.  In each match a play can earn 3 individual points (front nine, back nine and 18 hole match) and then also earn the same as part of the two-man team. This is all probably gibberish to most of you, but I wanted to explain so that I could brag about myself.

The past two years I have served as the Captain of Team 1 for The Field Club, which means I am responsible for making sure we have the top 12 players available each week for our team, based on handicap.  This year was a bit crazy because some of our top players were busy and not able to make some matches.  Since 2003 I have been playing in at least one match with the exception of 2009, the year the boys were born and 2010, when I left the club for half a year.  In that period I have only ever competed in all three matches 5 times, with three off those occurring before the boys were born.

I mention all of this because these matches can always be funny things.  Same days or years you got it and others you don't.  This year, much like 2015, was one of the years that I had it.  In 2015 I earned 16.5 of a possible 18 points, while this year I earned 14 points, 8.5 of 9 possible individual points, which means this year in my individual match I only halved the back nine of my home match vs Indian Valley.  I was able to play Jericho National and DuPont Country Club on the road, two courses that I was eager to play.

Today was special because I was able to play DuPont Country Club in Wilmington, Delaware.  This is a course that was home to an LPGA Major Championship for many years and a few of those years, as a kid, I was able to attend with my family and watch some awesome golf.  I always wondered about playing the course someday and how I would do. The course has been altered slightly as a lot of trees have been removed, but the basic structure was still there.  I played very good situational golf, which means that based on the match I was playing against the member from DuPont, I was able to win holes even if I wasn't playing my absolute best every hole.  I hit my driver great, hit my irons ok and putted just good enough.  My actual score was a 6 over par 77, but I won my match all ways and only lost the team match on the back nine when one of my opponents made birdie to our par.

FREE ICE CREAM #1
On my way home I treated myself to the FREE PRETZEL for my performance and as a surprise treat I also was given a free ice cream.   I opted for the Salted Caramel Pretzel.  It was amazing.  I do not know how often this Philly Soft Pretzel factory on the White Horse Pike in Haddon Heights gives out Free Ice Cream with each purchase, but I high recommend it.  Bassetts.  Very tasty.

The only bad part of the day was that the boys lost their soccer game, 4-2 vs Cherry Hill.  Blech.

Until tomorrow... and next year for GAP.

No comments:

Post a Comment