Thursday, May 23, 2013

Day 23- A former student doing good works

FREE PRETZEL #23
May 23rd- Day 23- Spencer Levy is now a sixth grader at Beck Middle School, but two years ago he was a student in my 4th grade and last class at Stockton Elementary school.  Spencer has raised more than $3,200 for CHOP, the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia through something he calls Cookies for Kids campaign.  When Spencer was in first grade, and only 6 years old, he just decided that he wanted try and help out children that were in the hospital.  He did not know anyone there, nor was anyone in his family affected by illness.  He just thought it was a good idea.  Amazing right? 
He started in 2008 and decided, with the help of his mom, Julie, that it would be a good idea to have a bake sale and donate all the proceeds to CHOP. Each year he has raised more money than the year before.  In 2012 he raised $1,052 and this year he has raised over $1300 and still counting.
Spencer could not wait to dig into his FREE PRETZEL
Spencer was a great student in my class.  He was always full of energy and always very giving, which is why it does not surprise me that he would be doing something like this.  I get excited when young people that I teach or that I am around take the initiative to give back and do something so kind.  Spencer is definitely a free spirit, but ponders the ways of the world.  My son Patrick reminds me a lot of Spencer. Spencer loves to wear Tie-Dye and Crocs, just like Patrick.  Spencer is always wondering and asking questions, just like Patrick.  I think Patrick will have someone to look up someday.

I talked with Spencer for a few minutes and he said he really likes Middle School. He was a really good artist in my class and told me he likes having two Art periods.  He was excited to get the pretzel and I was happy to give it to him. Keep up the good work!

Spencer has been written up on Suburban Family Magazine as a Citizen of the Year for 2012, as well as the Cherry Hill Schools website, the Courier Post and Cherry Hill Sun.  Words cannot describe how proud his parents are of him.  I am extremely proud to call him a former student and applaud him on this selfless act.  I hope he keeps it going for years to come.  I am sure you are an inspiration to many.  Thanks Spencer and I hope you enjoyed your treat.

Birthday Shout out- Jaynee Brosnan, had her birthday today.  Jaynee teaches at Sharp School and also handles the thankless job of being Union Rep.  I hope you had a great birthday Jaynee.

Thank you shout out to the Sanchirico family for hosting our golf team BBQ tonight.  It was successful as always. 

You have been warned that you are out of shopping days!

UNTIL TOMORROW...(I love when my birthday is on a weekend!)

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tim...Julie here! Thanks for including Spencer in your blog and saying such nice things about him! He really enjoyed seeing you yesterday and getting his pretzel! BTW...his running total donation to CHOP is now over $4500! Stay tuned for next year!

    ReplyDelete