Tuesday, May 6, 2014

May 6th- A helping hand whenever it’s needed

May 6th, 2014- Year 3 Day 6


Funny stories are sometimes how this blog works.  For those that don’t know, I have the pleasure of dropping off our three little ones at the babysitter (Tibby) and school (the boys) each morning.  I must do this and get to work by 8:15.  Luckily for me the boys school is right around the corner from my own school, so even if I happen to be running a bit late, I’m usually ok.  The first two days of the blog ran smoothly because Day I was able to get in the afternoon and Day 2, which occurred on a Friday, is a little more lax.
 

 
So today was really the first day I needed to budget my time well.  Not a good day for Declan and Patrick to try and sneak Lego figures in the short pockets so they could have them at school.  We were a bit later than usual and as I turned left on Haddon Ave to go to the sitter instead of turning right to get the FREE PRETZEL, I asked the boys to remind me after we dropped Tibby off.  Of course as soon as I got into the car, Patrick starting asking me to play the CD that had “Poker Face” on it.  I knew we didn’t have it, but he insisted and before we knew it, I was already passed 295 on Route 70 before I realized, WE NEVER GOT THE PRETZEL!   When I got to school I looked up the nearest Philly Soft Pretzel Factory and ran out during lunch.  Whew!
They graced me with this beauty:
FREE PRETZEL #6
Today’s recipient is so deserving that I had to check the blog from the previous year, TWICE, hoping that I had not already given her one, mostly because I couldn’t believe that I hadn’t.  Marianne Harms is an Educational Assistant at Sharp Elementary School.  More importantly she is the Ed Asst that is in charge of the COPY ROOM!  The keeper of the copies.  If I need something done, I make a phone call and she usually obliges and has it within minutes.  She is the best.



Marianne was downright giddy at the idea of getting a FREE PRETZEL
Not only is Marianne an extremely helpful Ed Asst, but we have actually known each other for a long time.  Our relationship goes back about 7 or 8 years to when I was teaching at Stockton and Marianne was a regular substitute in our school.  It was a pleasure to know she had your class when you were out because you knew they were in good hands.  Her children (Carlie and Nicole) attended Sharp and so when I found myself moved there 3 years ago, it was a pleasant surprise last year when she was hired. She also has been the hallway monitor for this week and next week during NJASK testing and that alone should earn someone a FREE PRETZEL. 

We wanted to see if this worked so the whole staff could enjoy.
Marianne is also amazing because she is a cancer survivor.  She will be two years breast cancer free in August and anyone that knows her could not be happier.  Marianne and I, have always had great conversations and discussions which tend to center around television with "Dexter" being a main focus.  She keeps plugging along at the series and I have to bite my tongue and not spoil things for her.  She is almost finished the series though and says she might have to find a new show.  I may have a few recommendations. 

Marianne did not know the story behind why I was doing this or how it got started, but she has been following along like the rest of you.  She told me "I get the pretzel today?  I have a confession to make. When I started reading your blog, I was hoping I would get one someday.  Soft pretzels are my weakness!"  So much a weakness that she confessed to me that being a Philly girl, she used to have a pretzel or two and a water ice for lunch, back in the day.  So I was even more pleased to give this to her after hearing that.  I was glad to make her day,  And I got another nice conversation out of it.  Which is always nice.  I made her day and she made mine. Win, win.

Shout outs: To Kevin Grugan for calling to tell me that Chipotle was running a Buy one Get one special for all teachers with their ID.  Instant dinner.  Thanks Kevin.  

-To Josh Simonetti for helping out with the golf team this week. Huge appreciation.

I have run out of things to say and it is late.

Until tomorrow... 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment